October 6, 2021 - CBN News
President's Message: Fall 2021 Update
By: John Georgakapoulos
In September 2021, the CBN held a Strategy and Planning Meeting to assess CBN’s progress on its five-year Strategic Plan (launched January 1, 2020), evaluate strategic initiatives, and discuss membership events for 2021/2022.
In accordance with the five-year Strategic Plan, CBN’s goals continue to be to:
- engage stakeholders on issues related to brownfield redevelopment
- facilitate a forum for the advancement of brownfield redevelopment, and
- clarify issues related to brownfield redevelopment.
The CBN has made considerable strides towards furthering these goals. Specifically, CBN has:
- increased its membership base, with broader national presence and representation across Canada
- formed the CBN’s Development and Membership Committees to facilitate our national membership mandate and brownfield redevelopment opportunities
- strengthened its organizational structure and delivery of value to its membership through the hiring of CBN Executive Director, Tammy Lomas-Jylha, and Operations Manager, Sim Frayne
- updated CBN’s website and developed a public facing dashboard; and
- committed to keeping CBN’s members connected and providing strong value in 2021/22 through webinars/conferences, including pertinent brownfield related topics such as climate change, affordable housing, and Indigenous communities.
At CBN, we continue to push the brownfields redevelopment bar. CBN has a number of events planned for 2021/2022, including the 2021 Brownie Awards which are scheduled to take place on November 23, 2021. The Brownie Awards recognize the builders, innovators and visionaries dedicated to the redevelopment of brownfields that contribute to the growth of sustainable communities across Canada. You can register to attend the 2021 Brownie Awards at: https://brownieawards.ca/2021event/.
We also encourage members to help broaden our nation-wide CBN network by encouraging other brownfield professionals to join. You can register to become a CBN member at: https://www.canadianbrownfieldsnetwork.ca/become-a-member.
Looking forward to working with you to make Brownfields First!